Unhelpful for whom? If we ship the latest, secure config from the single
release branch, we wouldn't be encumbered by having to use tricks for fixes.
Most end users who get their custom build from the distros would get the same
custom directive-level fixes applicable to them (ie:  they know what's in the
build so don't have to do such gymnastics).

In the same vein of thought, if it is disruptive to a config, that signals a
minor bump. Patch changes must be forward compatible.
--
Daniel Ruggeri