On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 10:49 PM, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bill or Yann, do you remember the specific gotcha with setting aside
> addl bits and re-using them later?

I've never thought it was an issue (re compat) to add some bit(s) in a
bitfield if there is a hole, wherever this field is in the struct.
It doesn't change the size and there is no way for the user to have
used the address of any bit in the first place (it can't break
anything IMHO).
Bill objected to this, I can't remember why (and he is in better
position to explain it), status quo so far...

> 2.4.x currently has a single bit bitfield at the end of the server_rec.

Yes, I think there is much less interest in using bitfields if we
can't extend them.

Regards,
Yann.