I like this work a lot and als like reading this explanation and details
about intentions and rabbit holes encountered. I think there could
be more of it from everyone, including myself.

About these changes in particular: making io handling more and
easier async is excellent. I'd like to use that in h2.

+1 for ap_filter_private.

re ap_filter_recycle() would a new meta bucket help solving this?
Something to insert after an EOR?

Cheers, Stefan