On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 3:31 PM Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Since __attribute__ is used in various places in trunk and 2.4, is it safe
> to assume that I can write something that requires __attribute__(packed)?

No ... but surely you meant to write __attribute__((packed))

The real question is... why? It is sorely suboptimal except on x86_64 where
the cpu handles the heavy lift ... the compiler must cope with it on
MIPS/SPARC/POWER etc, may break atomic updates (our atomics don't protect
against this), and doesn't address endianness. It all leads to lots of
other questions...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45116212/are-packed-structs-portable
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8568432/is-gccs-attribute-packed-pragma-pack-unsafe

Adding this to any existing public struct definition is not backportable to
2.4.x.

A use case would be helpful provide a fair answer to your question.