On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:49:27AM -0600, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:30 AM Stefan Sperling <s...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 03:46:48PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > > mod_proxy fails to compile when APR doesn't have thread support.
> > > I don't know if this is supposed to be a supported configuration,
> > > but this problem did not exist with HTTPD 2.2; it showed up in 2.4.
> >

> How early in 2.4? I believe no-threads/prefork/mod_proxy had been
> a supported combo during 2.4.1+ lifetime. It should be corrected.

I don't know when it started. I had been lazy and kept compiling my
SVN dev builds with httpd 2.2 for ages. I only switched that setup
to the 2.4.x line with 2.4.37, because I finally ran into enough
trouble keeping my 2.2-based setup in working condition.

> mod_proxy_balancer doesn't make any sense, of course, so if it
> has similar issues, those aren't a worry.

I patched mod_proxy_balancer since it had compilation failures in my
no-threads configuration. Are you saying mod_proxy_balancer should not
be compiled in the first place if threads are disabled in APR?

> > The patch below adds checks for APR_HAS_THREADS and passes test
> > > builds with both threaded and non-threaded APR from APR's trunk.
> > > Is this the right approach?
> > >
> > > I also found that the http2 module won't build without thread support.
> >

> This is rather known. Early in the mod_http2 adoption, it was decided
> that it would not support mod_prefork. Since it only supports threaded
> MPM's, that's fine, it can be disabled for no-threads.

OK, that's fine as it is then.

> > > I can simply omit http2 from my SVN dev builds, for now. But mod_proxy
> > > is required by mod_dav_svn for SVN's write-through proxy feature.
> >

> > Any feedback on this? Should I just commit it if I don't hear anything?
> >

> You can commit what you believe is the right fix to trunk, and propose
> this for backport in STATUS for 2.4 branch for others to consider, test
> and collect the 3 +1's needed for backporting.

Will do. Thanks!