I'm confused, why are you building with gcc to a Microsoft OS platform
target?

What you are left with is a hybrid of bad posix-like thunks to native MS
API.

You COULD install SFU (the Ubuntu-on-Windows layer) and have a true
posix environment, but be warned I'm seeing broken locking behavior relative
to Linux/BSD that I haven't found an explanation to, just yet. I'd encourage
you to try this and use gdb/eclipse.

Or you could simply build under VC for win32 using the project files or
using
CMake and have something we all test against, which uses the win32 API.

Myself, trying to debug on Win32, I use the project files, update them using
Apache.dsw and let all the updates happen for the modern VisualStudio,
and from that environment, choose my invocation runtime line and dive in
pretty much from the build environment. It's helpful to know the -X option,
which disables spawning a child and ensures you are looking at the entire
execution environment in a single process. Setting breakpoints, etc becomes
trivial.