On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > From my perspective it would be advantageous to have Apache write to
> > the terminal by default (i.e. no hardcoded log file locations) and
> > allow to override this behavior via the Apache configuration file.
>
> > Is there any reason why the default behavior is not that way yet?
>
> I think it's useful as opt-in, but I wouldn't want to see any
> "defaults" changed (whether that's how the code behaves in the absence
> of logging related directives, or how our default httpd.conf looks)
>
> One wrinkle I recall here is that the closing of stdout and stderr
> happens in APR (apr_proc_detach?) and it requires a new APR release to
> provide any alternate options there.

If you look at the -e argument to httpd binary, you'll see that we had to
offer
an alternative for those who didn't have access to / weren't satisfied with
the
Windows Event Log as an early/pre-ErrorLog error emits.

Perhaps -e can be applied to Unix as well, and that some argument such as
'-' can be understood to mean stderr?