Folks, the hostility in this exchange isn't appropriate, especially the
later messages.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 2:35 AM JunkYardMail1 <junkyardma...@frontier.com>
wrote:

> Getting sporadic not found (404) and redirects (301).  These occur maybe
> about 1 per 1000+ or so.
>
> The 404 responses are for existing content, and the 301 response make no
> sense.  Sometimes the redirect is to the same URL that was requested or to
> something completely unrelated.
>
> I can go to these URL's just fine without getting not found or redirect.
>
> Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)
> Apr  2 2020 13:13:23

This is, as pointed out, a users@ question. Please do be considerate of the
fact
that the developers spend their limited cycles to address problems in the
current
source code, and the request doesn't identify a source code defect.

> perhaps try something a little more modern, 2.4.6 is _40_ releases old,

That's not true, because (as you can see today)...

> ASF is about to release 2.4.46

and the 2.4.45 and 2.4.44 versions were not released. There are 16 skipped
releases,
and only 24 released versions of httpd 2.4 since 2.4.6 in July of 2013, 7
years ago.
Either way, this is too old for the developers to spend attention on, as it
has little
relevance to the current project source code under development.

This is a factual statement, if a bit blunt:

and this question is better suited to users@  not dev@
> --
> Regards,
> Noel Butler
>

> It is the package that is provided to CentOS 7.  I'm not interested in
> spending my life compiling packages.

And CentOS 8 is celebrating its first birthday in 7 weeks.  Developers and
fellow
users are more inclined to answer questions directed at current operating
systems.
CentOS 7 maintainers will only be providing full updates into Q4 of this
year, with limited
maintenance patches into 2024. For support from the CentOS community, it's
a good time
to be migrating. As far as compiling packages, there are other rpm
distribution channels
to keep up with a more up-to-date flavor httpd without compiling packages.

Let's try to keep thread redirections reasonably polite and presume best
intentions?