On 28/03/2022 14:28, Rainer Jung wrote:

I am thinking about adding a JSON output format to mod_status and mod_info as an option controlled by a query string parameter.

Since writing simple data structures from these modules is much simpler than parsing and processing a JSON structure, I would expect it to be based on simple ap_rputs() and ap_rprintf() like we already use it for auto (text) and HTML output. IMHO no need for a JSON library just for this use case.

Of course, this will slightly bloat the code with "if" statements and roughly double the amount of ap_rputs() and ap_rprintf().

For mod_status this probably means introduction of a new AP_STATUS_JSON value, so that in theory other modules could in the future update their status extensions with JSON support. In the meantime it might mean, that if a modules extends mod_status output, the result when asking for JSON output is no valid JSON (mix between mod_status JSON and mod_something providing HTML or text). For our own modules, especially mod_proxy, this can of course be fixed (and I will fix this). For mod_info, we do not have such an extension problem wrt. 3rd-party modules.

Any comments up-front before I try to prototype this?

+1 ;-)

Thanks and regards,

Rainer

--