+1 on 1/3 and improving the contributing guide. But on 2,  IMO it would be
overloading PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.

Bigger point here is: We need a fully automated way of formatting code
either using IDE or using something like spotless.
I pulled the checkstyle rules into intellij and even then I noticed that it
does not apply all rules while formatting (e.g line breaks between import
groups).