Hi all,

First of all, it's great to see us debating around ensuring high quality,
timely releases. Shows we have developers
who care and are passionate around the project!

Thanks for establishing the timelines, Siva. I would like to add the
following data points that all 4 PRs in question
(raised on the voting thread) have been submitted well after the Aug 13th
cutoff date we had originally agreed upon.
If there was communication to the RM or PMC before the cutoff around these
JIRAs, please chime in. In the absence of
this, it seems like this is an issue of some last minute feature requests
and 1 hot fix around SparkSQL. I am pretty
concerned about setting this precedent here, that RCs can be voted down if
certain bug fixes did not make it in time.

We have never encountered an issue like this before. So it's an opportunity
to draft an agreed upon set of criteria
for what qualifies for a valid -1, this also needs us as a community in
investing in nightly integration tests, and more volunteers
to ensure our tests are not flaky and exercise all complex scenarios.
Without this, I think we have to enforce agreed upon timelines
very stringently.

I added my +1 to 0.9.0, since I perceive all 4 PRs issues to be
non-blocking (even though the sparkSQL bug is a serious limitation).
But, I'd still have us honor the timelines we agreed upon, rather than cut
another RC3 for these.

Apache Voting guidelines explicitly state that "Releases may not be
vetoed. Generally the community will cancel the release
vote if anyone identifies serious problems, but in most cases the ultimate
decision lies with the individual serving as release manager"

Love to hear more from the other PMC members and the RM. Looks like the RM
has the clear final decision here, unless the majority
binding votes for the RC cannot be obtained from the PMC.

Thanks
Vinoth