+1 This is a great idea! The proposed lake manager and centralized
management layer are essential to ease the burden of carrying out data
governance and optimizing the storage layout, making them independent of
ingestion and streaming.  I see that this provides a better abstraction for
any potential centralized maintenance and optimization beyond existing
table services.

It would be good to have this centralized Lake Manager component in the
metastore server proposed by RFC-36.  RFC-43 can also somehow be part of
it.  The Lake Manager implementation can be self-contained in some way.