Not 10 different databases, ten different tables in the same database.  Think header/detail records - but much more complex.

If you've never worked with an independant DBA group whose design philosophies are maintained solely at their own discretion - without needing to take the application needs into account - then the problem is is hard to understand.  The tables are often super (hyper?) normalized and auditing is quite complex.

Some of our report queries join 25 tables!  It's not pretty, but it is reality :)

Jeff Butler