I haven't looked into it but what do OGNL or other frameworks do?  Do they
offer some way to pick and choose between getters/setters and direct field
access?  If someone else has already solved this problem, naybe we could
leverage their ideas.

Given no other guidance, I do like the idea of using getters/setters first
and then rolling back to direct field access.  But maybe the parenthesis
syntax is OK if someone wants to force direct field access and bypass the
getters/setters.  The syntax without parenthesis would work in most cases,
but this would also give a way to bypass the getters/setters if someone
wanted to do something wierd.

Jeff Butler