Hi Cristian,

I'm glad to hear that this feels like alignment to you. I agree that it
should closely correspond to the option that you described. My intent in
writing this out was to clarify some of the details because they were a
sticking point in the live discussion.

One thing though: guaranteeing uniques doesn't seem possible with large
> datasets. In fact, no real big data system does that (We posted some
> examples in the comment thread on our proposal doc).

Clearly it is "possible" to guarantee uniques by comparing deltas to a base
version during the commit process. But, as you alluded to, and as I mention
in the document, the cost of doing so is highly dependent on the nature of
the dataset and the updates to it. Furthermore, the likelihood of
duplicates is highly variable, as is the cost of violations.

With all of those things in mind, I have recommended making this
enforcement optional (if available at all). Instead I have chosen to
describe the potential impact of errors in the dataset production. I
identified two possible errors and illustrated how those errors might be
observed by a consumer.

The good news however, is we don't need uniqueness for all of this to work.
> It works just the same even if there are duplicates, however with a bit
> more care in implementation to handle
> some corner cases consistently.

Agreed, that under certain conditions, deterministic behaviour can be
achieved in the face of unintended duplicates in input. And this would be
my recommended approach.

Thanks for taking the time to read my document.

Erik