Hey Ryan and Anton,

I wanted to circle back on some findings I had after taking a first stab at
this ..

> There’s already a wrapper to adapt Arrow to ColumnarBatch, as well as an
> iterator to read a ColumnarBatch as a sequence of InternalRow. That’s
> what we want to take advantage of..

This is how I went about this... I wrapped the *ParquetReader.FileIterator*
with an iterator that creates Arrow batch from rows (one batch for every
100 rows) returned by *FileIterator.next() *. I exposed each Arrow Batch
from this iterator as a ColumnarBatch which has a * .rowIterator() *that
reads this as a sequence of InternalRow. I return this in the  *Reader.open()
*call in Iceberg.

Here are some microbenchmark numbers on on flat parquet file scanning ...

1 warmup, 3 iterations, 10 columns per row , 100k records per file, 10 files

*Benchmark                    Mode  Cnt   Score(sec)   Error     Units*
readFileV1SourceVectorized   avgt    3   0.870        ± 1.883   s/op
readIcebergNoBatching        avgt    3   1.854        ± 2.003   s/op
readIcebergWithBatching100k  avgt    3   3.216        ± 0.520   s/op
readIcebergWithBatching10k   avgt    3   8.763        ± 2.338   s/op
readIcebergWithBatching5k    avgt    3  13.964        ± 6.328   s/op

The Batching doesn't seem to add any benefit. I measured the conversion
times and am reading this as the overhead from extra copies to Arrow and
then to ColumnarBatch again. Although I was hoping that the materialization
to arrow would offset some of that overhead.

Wondering what my next step should be..
1) Eliminate the extra conversion IO overhead by reading each column type
directly into ArrowColumnVector?
2) Should I extend IcebergSource to support the SupportsScanColumnarBatch
mixin and expose the ColumnarBatch?

Appreciate your guidance,

-Gautam.