On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 10:26 PM Walaa Eldin Moustafa <wa.moust...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> *2. Iceberg schema lower casing:* Before Iceberg, when users read Hive
> tables from Spark, the returned schema is lowercase since Hive stores all
> metadata in lowercase mode. If users move to Iceberg, such readers could
> break once Iceberg returns proper case schema. This feature is to add
> lowercasing for backward compatibility with existing scripts. This feature
> is added as an option and is not enabled by default.

This isn't quite correct. Hive lowercases top-level columns. It does not
lowercase field names inside structs.

> *3. Hive table proper casing:* conversely, we leverage the Avro schema to
> supplement the lower case Hive schema when reading Hive tables. This is
> useful if someone wants to still get proper cased schemas while still in
> the Hive mode (to be forward-compatible with Iceberg). The same flag used
> in (2) is used here.

Are there users of Avro schemas in Hive outside of LinkedIn? I've never
seen it used. I don't think you should tie #2 and #3 together.

Supporting default values and union types are useful extensions.

.. Owen