Thanks Zoltan and Ryan for your feedback.

I think we all agreed that adding an option to promote BINARY to String
(Approach A) in flink/spark/hive reader sides to read those historic
dataset correctly written by impala on hive already.  Besides that,
applying approach B to future Apache Impala releases also sounds reasonable
to me, I think we can also create a PR in apache impala repo at the same
time when applying approach A to iceberg repo.

About approach C, I guess those parquet files will also need to be totally
rewritten although we are only trying to change those file metadata, which
may be costly. So I'm a bit hesitant to choose this approach.

Jiafei and I will try to create two PRs for the two things (A and B), one
for apache iceberg repo and another one for apache impala repo.

Best regards.