I wonder if this is somewhat related to
https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/6d0fed9a18ff87e73fdf1ee46b6b0d2df8dd5a1b
/
SPARK-43744 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-43744>, which
appears to have fixed similar issues that you were experiencing for Spark
3.5, but maybe some other place to be fixed was missed.
The thing in Java is that if a class is being loaded by two different class
loaders, then these two classes are never being considered equal.
That means that a ClassCastException like the one you mentioned in your
first email could happen for that reason.

@Nirav were you able to test Spark 3.4 vs 3.5 with Iceberg 1.4.x? In your
previous email you only mentioned Spark 3.5 + Iceberg 1.4.x vs Spark 3.4 +
Iceberg 1.3.x, but I would only try and compare different Spark versions
and keep Iceberg versions the same.

To answer your question whether it might be an Iceberg vs Spark issue, I
think it's a spark-connect issue with different classloaders. I've seen
similar things in the past in other Java environments and Iceberg itself
doesn't do anything fancy around classloading.