Hi:

I think one thing missing in the discussion is that, if the iceberg
community wants to maintain a rest catalog service, what's the target use
case? Different target use cases may lead to different directions.

If it's mainly designed for first time users to play or experience with
rest catalog, then maybe we just need a submodule in java repo or a
test-jar would be enough.

If it's targeted toward production usage, things get complicated. There are
too many things to think about, such as using different storage backend,
monitoring, ha, scalability etc. What's more, in an enterprise iceberg rest
catalog usually is only part of a data platform, there are many other
things involved. In this case, I'm skeptical about the actual value of a
rest catalog server, and a spec or a library would be more valuable.