> While it would be great to have a common set of functions across engines,
I don't see how that is practical when those engines are implemented so
differently. Plugging in code -- and especially custom user-supplied code
-- seems inherently specialized to me and should be part of the engines'
design.

How is this different from the views? I feel we can say exactly the same
thing for Iceberg views, but yet we have Iceberg multi-dialect views
implemented. Maybe it sounds like we are trying to draw a line between SQL
vs other programming language as "code"? but I think SQL is just another
type of code, and we are already talking about compiling all these
different code dialects to an intermediate representation (using projects
like Coral, Substrait), which will be stored as another type of
representation of Iceberg view. I think the same functionality can be used
for UDFs if developed.

I actually hink adding UDF support is a good idea, even just a
multi-dialect one like view, and that can allow engines to for example
parse a view SQL, and when a function referenced cannot be resolved, try to
seek for a multi-dialect UDF definition.

I guess we can discuss more when we have the actual proposal published.

Best,
Jack Ye