I strongly disagree with asking Ryan to step down. For those who don't know
me, I'm an Iceberg PMC member, Apache member, and
was a mentor and champion for Iceberg when it entered the Apache Incubator
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/IcebergProposal>.
I've never worked at either Tabular or Databricks.

Over the years, I've had a lot of discussions with Ryan about Apache in
general and Iceberg specifically. Ryan's always impressed me with his
commitment to doing the right thing for the open source communities that he
works in. In particular, I think Ryan's done an amazing job of encouraging
Iceberg's community and technology.

That said, one of the danger signs for open source projects is when a
majority of the PMC members or committers are employed by a single company.
Towards that end, I'd encourage Ryan in his next quarterly report to the
Apache Board to mention the acquisition as a risk factor for Iceberg.

On a side note, discussions about individuals on Apache projects should in
general happen on the project's private list and not in public.

.. Owen