I think it might be worth restating perceived requirements and making sure
there is alignment on them.

If I am reading correctly, I think the following are perceived requirements:
1. An engine must be able to unambiguously detect that an underlying
queried entity has changed or not via metadata to decide if materialized
table data can be used.
2. The number of sequential catalog reads an engine needs to make to make
use of a materialized table state at read time is minimized.
3. Engines that don't understand a SQL dialect can still use MV information
if it is not stale.
4. Table refs (catalog identifiers) should not appear in the materialized
table metadata (i.e. state).
5. The view part of the MV definition should not need a new revision for
any changes to objects it queries as long as their schemas stay compatible
(only state information on the materialized table need to change).

In my mind, requirement 1, is the only true requirement.  I think this
necessitates having UUID + snapshot ID as part of the state information
(not necessarily part of the Lineage).  I think it also necessitates having
a denormalized view of all entities that are inputs into the MV in the
state information (a view object might not change but its underlying tables
or views could change and that must be detected).

Requirements 2 and 5 are somewhat at odds with each other.  If information
is denormalized (fully expanded) in Lineage, it means if table information
is somehow dropped from an intermediate view, one would need to update the
view (or make excess calls to the catalog). In my mind, this argues for
normalization of the lineage stored on the view (with the cost of
potentially 1 additional serial catalog lookup once the state information
is retrieved).

I think #3 is at odds with #4.  I think #3 is more worthwhile, then keeping
#4 (and as Jan noted #4 adds complexity).

I think the last remaining question is if lineage serves any purpose.  I
think it is useful for the following reasons:
a)  When there are no intermediate views queried, it allows for fully
parallelized lookup calls to the catalog without having to parse the SQL
statement first
b)  Allows tools that don't need to lookup state information  or parse SQL
but still navigate MV/view trees.

Both of these seem relatively minor, so lineage could perhaps be left out
in the first iteration.

As it applies to Jan's questions:

1. Should we move the identifiers out of the refresh-state into a new
> lineage record that is stored as part of the view metadata?

No, I don't think so, I think #5 is a reasonable requirement and I think
this violates it.

> 2. If yes, should the lineage in the view be fully expanded?

No, I think only the state should be fully expanded (for reasons mentioned
above, it potentially requires more updates to the view then necessary).

> 3. What should be used as an identifier in the lineage to reference
> entries in the refresh-state?

Catalog identifiers make sense to me.  If we agree requirement #3 is not a
requirement then it seems like this could also be UUIDs.

Thanks,
Micah