I may have missed something, but I thought we had settled on Ryan's
proposal previously using a single bounded region file. So any region is at
most 2 files.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 2:03 AM Shawn Chang <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> During the last index sync, Talat brought up a question about the
> non-overlapping invariant in the current index spec. I was thinking about
> this again today, but couldn't remember all the details from the
> discussion, and I also couldn't find the rationale clearly documented
> anywhere, so I'm shamelessly asking the same question here :)
>
> Requiring region files to be globally ordered and non-overlapping seems to
> come with a few tolls:
>
>    1.
>
>    *Write amplification.* Incremental updates may require rewriting
>    affected regions, especially for hot key ranges.
>    2.
>
>    *Maintenance complexity.* Maintaining this invariant requires the
>    index maintainer to globally repartition/sort data and rewrite affected
>    regions, which makes the index maintenance implementation a bit demanding.
>    3.
>
>    *Future evolution.* If readers rely on non-overlap to identify a
>    single region file and early-exit, allowing overlap later will be a
>    breaking change rather than simply relaxing a validation rule.
>
> I understand that the current design favors write-once-read-many workloads
> and a simpler read path. What I'm still missing is a clear description of
> the alternatives we considered, what complexity each alternative
> introduces, and why we think the current trade-off is worth making.
>
> For example, overlapping regions could lead to unbounded read
> amplification and complicated reconciliation semantics. But there also seem
> to be middle grounds, such as the bounded model Ryan mentioned in the last
> meeting: one base region file plus at most one overlay file.
>
> I think it would be useful to document this trade-off explicitly. Right
> now the non-overlap invariant is clear, but the reasoning seems less clear
> to me for: 1) choosing it over the potential alternatives like mini LSM,
> and 2) making it a format-level invariant rather than a recommended writer
> behavior.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shawn
>

Reply via email to