Guys,

I'm not sure what issue we're trying to solve. Basically, we have three
different functionality parts here:

1. Cache metrics exposed via CacheMetrics interface and MBeans (number of
puts, average put time, this kind of stuff). These are controlled on per
cache level by CacheConfiguration#statisticsEnabled property.
2. Listening to cache events. To achieve this you only need to enable
particular event types and register listeners, this does not depend on
CacheConfiguration#statisticsEnabled. Here is the test confirming this:
https://gist.github.com/vkulichenko/54043c7b75c69eca5515e7d7692b5276
3. Querying cache events via IgniteEvents#*Query methods. This is the ONLY
piece that requires MemoryEventStorageSpi to be configured. Since querying
is not very frequently used, and event storage introduces significant
memory overhead, I don't think we should ever implicitly enable it. We
deliberately made no-op implementation the default one not so long ago.

All three points above seem to work without any issues. The only useful
addition I see here is ability to enable cache events on per cache level.
But for this we can introduce new property to CacheConfiguration. I would
not mix metrics and events together as these are different APIs designed
for different purposes.

Am I missing something?

-Val