I think that Ignite can be placed in a list of NewSQL databases even though
that's not our strongest use case. Ignite is unique as the whole:

   - Storage (memory + disk - 3rd party or native)
   - Key/value for simple querying + SQL for advanced calls
   - Collocated processing (compute grid, ML) - complex logic execution w/o
   data movement over network

Based on those capabilities the most prominent use cases are:

   - In-memory data grid - acceleration of 3rd party DBs (primarily RDBMSs)
   and further evolution with collocated processing
   - In-memory database with native persistence - greenfield applications
   that need scalable memory-centric storage, fast restarts. See a lot of use
   cases coming from the Hadoop world - Ignite is used for real-time
   analytics, partially offloading Hadoop.

-
Denis