Alexey,

>>  The solution which Anton suggested does not look easy because it will
most likely significantly hurt performance
Mostly agree here, but what drop do we expect? What price do we ready to
pay?
Not sure, but seems some vendors ready to pay, for example, 5% drop for
this.

>> it is hard to maintain a data structure to choose "page from free-list
with enough space closest to the beginning of the file".
We can just split each free-list bucket to the couple and use first for
pages in the first half of the file and the second for the last.
Only two buckets required here since, during the file shrink, first
bucket's window will be shrank too.
Seems, this give us the same price on put, just use the first bucket in
case it's not empty.
Remove price (with merge) will be increased, of course.

The compromise solution is to have priority put (to the first path of the
file), with keeping removal as is, and schedulable per-page migration for
the rest of the data during the low activity period.