Thanks very much for your thoughts on this. I can confirm that the use of
getTotalUsedPages() does indeed allow us to calculate a memory consumption
metric that reduces as cache data is purged. I will comment on and close the
Jira ticket. This is great news.

Just one thought, in case there's any work in this area still under way -
perhaps it would be worth adding explicit methods on the metrics interface
to get used/free memory as per this calculation? It strikes me that these
metrics are absolutely critical for many use cases - but obtaining them is
not currently obvious or always reliable. I'm very happy for my test (see
jira) to be included in the test suite if that's useful?

Regards,
Colin.