Zhenya,

> Alexey, we already have changes that partially fixes this issue [1]
IGNITE-13086 it's a minor improvement. We still have major problems with
our page replacement algorithm (slow page selection and non-optimal
page-fault rate). I think changing from random 5 pages to 7 will make
things even worse (it's better for page-fault rate, but page selection will
be slower).

> This approach still not applicable for real life
Why do you think batch replacement is not applicable for real-life? It can
be applied for workloads, where some big amount of data periodically used,
but not very often. For example, when OLAP request over historical data
raised pages to page-memory, and after such request this data is not needed
for a long time. Or when OLTP transactions mostly add new data and process
recent data but rarely touch historical data. In these cases with the
current approach, we will enter "page replacement mode" after some period
of time and never leave it. With batch page replacement there is a chance
to prevent random-LRU page replacement or postpone it.

> But request once more, do you really observe such problems with 2.9 ver ?
Any graphs maybe ?
I don't have production usage feedback after IGNITE-13086, but I doubt
something changed significantly.

чт, 19 нояб. 2020 г. в 09:18, Zhenya Stanilovsky <arzamas...@mail.ru.invalid