These are actually some interesting points. As I'm thinking more about
this, I'm leaning towards changing my opinion and voting for the
CompletableFuture. Here is my reasoning.

First, it's important to keep in mind that CompletableFuture is not an
interface that we will implement, it's an implemented class. Therefore,
some of the concerns around complete() and cancel() method are not really
relevant -- it's not up to us how these methods behave, they're already
implemented.

Second, CompletableFuture does provide some useful functionality (anyOf is
one of the examples). I can even envision users wanting to complete the
future under certain circumstances, e.g. after a timeout, using
the completeOnTimeout method. Stripping them from such functionality, which
they are used to, is most likely a bad idea.

And finally, we can have an IgniteFuture that extends CompletableFuture.
This might be useful if want the cancel() operation to cancel the
underlying operation. This way we keep all the functionality of
CompletableFuture while keeping a certain amount of flexibility for
specific cases.

Thoughts?

-Val