> I don't think we need an explicit reactive API in the core library.
> Observable.fromFuture bridges async to Rx easily:

Cannot immediately agree here. Observable.fromFuture is not fair
reactive Publisher because computation for wrapped future most likely
starts before any subscription. While in general Publisher has an
option do nothing before subscribe() is called. Another important
matter is backpressure, I hardly imagine how can it be implemented for
Observable.fromFuture.

And nowadays reactive APIs are not just fancy stuff for hipsters. I
suppose we should consider popular API styles beforehand.

--

Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin