Val,

That's exactly what I have in mind.
Yes, we block the user thread, but then we should unblock it by completing
the future.
We can't complete the future from a Netty thread [1], so we'll need some
other thread from some executor.
If there are no threads available (because they are blocked by the sync API
above), the future won't complete => deadlock.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r528659381d983a177d779f56ef3d7da6fe17eb3504383f5f87727514%40%3Cdev.ignite.apache.org%3E