Thank you all for your replies!
I got the idea and agreed with it. Based on the results of the discussion, I have filed a ticket [1].
I will try to investigate it.

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-16157

On 16.12.2021 20:11, Ivan Daschinsky wrote:
Andrey, agree with you, good point.

чт, 16 дек. 2021 г., 16:27 Andrey Mashenkov <andrey.mashen...@gmail.com>:

Guys,

I like the idea with a flag, but for a different purpose.
I think it is easy to detect the issue (using the flag) when
metastorage was created on a new version with a fixed charset, or on an
older version with the user-defined default.
Regarding the flag, we can choose a new strategy forcing UTF-8, or fallback
to the old one with defaultCharset and print a warning and recommendation
in log.

Adding any compatibility stuff is absolutely error-prone because if you
fail in the middle of restoring process, you will get broken metastorage
with keys in different charsets.
At this point, there is no way to detect broken keys anymore.