Pavel, I suppose that ideally:
1. Client send in handshake flag, that it supports KEEP_ALIVE feature and
server takes it into account.
2. Each request of client can be considered as keep-alive ping.
3. Client send failure should be processed using retry policy.
4. Server should not send keep-alive packets, it is redundant, but server
should track requests from client and if there is no requests from client
with KEEP_ALIVE feature,
automatically close connection and free resources.

Similar approach is used in zookeeper clients.

--
Sincerely yours, Ivan Daschinskiy