I'm in favor of removing unsupported code, especially when doing so makes
development of the rest of the codebase easier and saves us cycles for
maintaining it. On the other hand it would suck if users had come to rely
on it and we break it, even though we recommend against it.

We could make a reasonable effort to discover any users of the feature,
e.g. by asking on user@ and by folks on this list checking other
communication channels they might have access to.

Cheers, Lars