The following is the board report I just posted. Comments welcome; the
report can still be edited before the board meeting on the 21st.

Apache Impala is a high-performance distributed SQL engine.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Impala was founded 2017-11-14 (2 years ago)
There are currently 50 committers and 32 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:4.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Bikramjeet Vig was added to the PMC on 2019-05-29
- Fredy Wijaya was added to the PMC on 2019-07-27
- Gabor Kaszab was added to the PMC on 2019-05-22
- Andrew Sherman was added as committer on 2019-06-07
- Laszlo Gaal was added as committer on 2019-06-19
- Sahil Takiar was added as committer on 2019-05-22
- Vihang Karajgaonkar was added as committer on 2019-05-14

## Project Activity:
Notable activity in the last quarter includes:

 - Numerous commits related to support for Hive's ACID table format
 - Improvements to the consideration of nodes as individual executors
   or coordinators, including:
     - Improvements to admission control and executor pool management when
       there is a dedicated coordinator
     - "Executor groups", a feature that allows users to run different
       queries in disjoint sets of executors
     - The addition of admission control parameters that scale with
       the number of executors
 - Improvements the developer experience on Docker
 - Increased compatibility with Apache projects, including Hive 3,
   erasure coding and S3Guard in HDFS, page skipping and Zstd and lz4
   compression in Parquet, and miscellaneous compatibility improvements
   for Ranger, Knox, Kudu, and Atlas
 - The addition of several built-in functions for the DATE type as
   well as the ability to read and write DATE in Parquet
 - Move closer to deprecating the Beeswax protocol by adding HS2
   support to the Impala shell
 - Numerous patches improving tracing, logging, and metrics
 - Multiple improvements to build times or isolation
 - The addition of a data cache for remote reads, improving TPC-DS
   performance on S3 by 30% in one scenario, which made S3 performance
   as good as HDFS-on-EBS

## Community Health:
By almost all metrics, Impala activity is down quarter-over-quarter
and year-over-year. That said, the project is still very active, with
each day featuring approximately:

 - Three commits
 - Two dev@ emails
 - 25 JIRA updates