Now that Impala 3.4 is branched and master is Impala 4.0, we need to decide
what breaking changes will happen in Impala 4.0. I have provided a series
of proposals below. I welcome feedback on them. Other proposals are also
welcome.

Thanks,
Joe

Proposal 0: Hadoop component versions

Switch to CDP versions of components by default. This means that Impala
will use Hive 3+ (which is already essentially Hive 4 and may change names
to being Hive 4).
Remove support for CDH versions of components.
This was already discussed in the original thread for Impala 4, so this is
not new.

Proposal 1: OS support

Drop support for Centos 6, Ubuntu 14, and Debian (all versions)
Retain support for Ubuntu 16, Ubuntu 18, Centos 7, and SLES 12
Centos 7 development will be focused on newer Centos 7 versions such as 7.6
and 7.7.
Add support for Centos 8
Move main development from Ubuntu 16 to Ubuntu 18 over time.

Proposal 2: Python support

Drop support for Python 2.6
Add support for Python 3 over time.

Proposal 3: Impala-lzo

Drop support for Impala-lzo/hadoop-lzo

Proposal 4: Clients

Deprecate beeswax protocol. This means that it can be removed in the next
major version number, but it would not be removed in Impala 4. Current
users of beeswax would need to start migrating to HS2.

Proposal 5: Sentry

Drop support for Sentry in favor of Ranger.

Proposal 6: Metadata

Metadata V2 will become the default. Metadata V1 will be deprecated.

Thanks,
Joe