Agreed that it's definitely a good idea to branch native-toolchain for the
release. We've done this in the past in a way that corresponded with
Cloudera releases, since native-toolchain is a Cloudera maintained project
and Cloudera has historically always had a close match between Cloudera
releases and Apache releases.

That match may not always be kept, though, and it's good from an Apache
perspective to decouple things from Cloudera's decisions anyways.

I would suggest using a branch, for the flexibility of adding commits later
if needed  - we've had issues in the past where we needed to fix
interaction with an external dependency that doesn't actually change what
the toolchain is building (eg. when github stopped allowing older tls
versions).