Seems like useful functionality that would be great to have in Impala.
There was an earlier attempt to do this that didn't make it in - I'm not
sure that the approach was quite right:
https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/1201/1 . I'm not sure what the exact
problems were but I remember we didn't think it was quite the right
approach.

I think we'd need to talk through a design first because there are a lot of
considerations and we want to make sure to get it right. I had some initial
questions that I'd want to think through before adding a JSON scanner.

   - What JSON does it accept?
   - How do we declare a table schema and map it to the JSON
   - How does it handle missing or extra fields - does it just return null
   or drop the fields? What if the field type is wrong?
   - How do the numeric types work? JSON only supports floating point, but
   I think many people would like to store higher-precision decimal or 64-bit
   integer types (which is technically outside of the JSON standard).
   - Will it support codegen? If not, is it written in a way that allows it
   in future?

Cheers,
Tim

- Tim