Has anyone found a way to disable all clang-tidy checks for a directory?

I've tried a directory-specific .clang-tidy file with

---
Checks: "-*"

but that causes clang-tidy to exit with an error (because I didn't
configure any checks). So I tried adding one check that I thought would
never fire. But that silently re-enables a bunch of clang-diagnostic*
checks that I don't want.

This happens when running:

git diff HEAD~1 |

"${IMPALA_TOOLCHAIN}/llvm-${IMPALA_LLVM_VERSION}/share/clang/clang-tidy-diff.py"
-clang-tidy-binary
"${IMPALA_TOOLCHAIN}/llvm-${IMPALA_LLVM_VERSION}/bin/clang-tidy" -p 1

per
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=65868536

Any ideas? Am I running clang-tidy wrong?