On 24 July 2017 at 18:54, Jim Apple <jbap...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Got it - thanks for the clarification!
>
> Also, I think I was unclear in my stated concern for new contributors. It
> seems to me that new contributors could choose to use the -so flag, even if
> the official pre-merge jobs doesn't, but that there is a cost to diverging
> from the pre-merge job in that it is hard to know what is to blame if your
> pre-merge job fails.

I understand the concern. My response would be that a) errors usually show
up in the shared linking case rather than the static case, so in practice I
think it's less likely to see errors during GVO that don't show up in local
development and b) if there are divergences at GVO time, there's usually an
engaged committer available to help newcomers out.

If we see this become an issue, we could revisit this decision at the time.