Hi everyone,

I am the Chinese student from University of Liverpool who is going to be the
internship in IoTDB team this summer.

I found a problem when I start the IoTDB's client, and I think my problem is
the same as the user in this mail:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@iotdb.apache.org/msg00913.html

Even if you have make some changes to the documentation on the website, it
would still make users confused.

When I follow the instruction on the website, it said that:
# Windows
> $IOTDB_CLI_HOME\bin\start-client.bat -h <IP> -p <PORT> -u <USER_NAME>

However, this would result in "Cannot find the main class
'org.apache.iotdb.cli.client.Client' error". After I look into the code of
start-client batch file and script, I found the same problem as the user in the
email above:
https://gist.github.com/jack870131/eb778d0c5fadc8412e7d842abfb5de6d

The reason is that the required jars to start IoTDB client are not in the
correct lib directory.  These are some solutions I found:

  1.  Copy all the jars in "/xxx/incubator-iotdb/iotdb-cli/cli/lib" to
"/xxx/incubator-iotdb/iotdb/iotdb/lib".
  2.  Change the part of the code "for %%i in ("%IOTDB_HOME%\lib\*.jar")" into
"for %%i in ("%IOTDB_CLI_HOME%\lib\*.jar")"
  3.  Do some changes to the documentation

I think this error is because the way of starting the IoTDB version in
Apache-incubator is different from the version in THU Lab. To start the old
version, the batch file and script can go without error. However, the directory
config has been changed in the Apache version, which I think you should make
the documentation clearer or do some changes in the batch file and script.

If you think this would count as an issue, I would like to join and contribute
for it.

Best regards,
Tsung-Han Tsai