Hi,

> I suggest to fix the “major” thing, which is the binary artefacts as
reported by Chris and possibly some minor other things, as reported by
Justin and Chris and then I can prepare a new RC on Thursday on Friday
which should pass the Vote comfortably.

Many of the issues have been solved on rel/0.8, and some of them are not
solved.

The details are:

> Source Bundle:
> LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES exist in source bundle: OK
(However I would prefer the binary versions not to be included)

Not solved... I leave this issue because I am not familiar with the
assemble plugin...

>   *   LICENSE: Path of MavenDownloaderWrapper.java is wrong

Solved.

>  *   NOTICE: Year in the notice could need updating … we’re no longer 2018

Solved in PR #324 and #328 .

>  *   NOTICE: IANAL but: I don’t think the source bundle actually includes
crypto code. If it’s just a dependency, it doesn’t need to be listed.

Do you mean the declaration of "This product contains a modified portion of
'Apache Hive'?  We added it because we noticed that hadoop has the similar
content: "This product contains a modified version of Robert Harder's
Public Domain Base64 Encoder and Decoder"...

>    *   NOTICE: What does the “SE” in “an open-source Java SE” mean?
Should this be “SW” or better “software”?

I did not find "SE"...

>        *   README.md: When building a Java JRE might not be enough … a
JDK could be required (Not checked)

Solved in PR # 328:
"IoTDB requires Java (>= 1.8).
To use IoTDB, JRE should be installed. To compile IoTDB, JDK should be
installed."

>        *   README.md: Should add the possibility of downloading the
source bundle from the website

Solved.

>        *   README.md: The structure of the project isn’t as described in
the file (Line 84ff)

solved.

>        *   README.md: Couldn’t find bin/start-server.sh or .bat (Line
104ff) same applies for the start-client.sh or .bat

solved.

>        *   README.md: Could not build according to maven command as there
is no “iotdb” module (After a check in the history, I noticed there was
some renaming … used “server” instead and that worked).

solved.

>        *   README.md: Build output looks different due to renaming (Line
130ff)

solved.

>        *   REDEME.md: Structure of output looks different (server/iotdb
instead of iotdb/iotdb) and later on there’s no “bin” direcrtory (line
144ff)

solved.

>        *   README.md: Should we link to downloads at the domain tsfile.org
> (Line
156)

solved (has removed).

>        *   README.md: Could not build client due to renaming (used
“client” instead of “iotdb-cleient” (Lines 201ff)

solved.

>        *   README.md: Stopped validating the content in detail after
being able to login to the local server with the cli :-)

Can not reproduce.

>        *   RELEASE_NOTES: Just saying it’s incompatible with 0.7.0 is a
little frustrating as someone using it will have to find out the changes
himself … that can frustrate people.

I think we can add a document to introduce how to upgrade from the
(unofficial) 0.7.0 version to Apache 0.8.0 version. (Need about one day to
do that.) The document can be as a single webpage in the official website
or the confluense.

>      *   Dockerfile references SNAPSHOT

Should modify the dockerfile before adding tag on the branch.

>        *   Documentation references SNAPSHOTS
>           *   docs/Documentation-CHN/UserGuide/8-Tools-Grafana.md
>           *   docs/Documentation/UserGuide/8-Tools-Grafana.md
>         *   grafana/readme.md
>       *   grafana/readme_zh.md

solved

>        *   Module “hadoop” references parent in version “0.8.1-SNAPSHOT”

I am not sure why we comment the module of hadoop... I will double check it
again.

>  *   Bin bundle:
>     *   Unpacking in the same directory wasn’t possible as it tries to
unpack in the same directory as the source-release …

Um..  not solved. I leave this issue because I am not familiar with the
assemble plugin...

>     *   LICENSE-binary, NOTICE-binary, README.md, RELEASE_NOTES.md exist
in binary bundle: OK (However I would prefer them to be called LICENCE and
NOTICE as tools like Nexus check for contents of the default names … it
will not find the ones with the “-binary” suffix)

Um..  not solved. I leave this issue because I am not familiar with the
assemble plugin...

>     *   check the contents of LICENSE-binary, NOTICE-binary, README.md,
RELEASE_NOTES.md
>       *   LICENSE-binary: The binary doesn’t contain any source files (…
therefore mentioning the Hive files can be removed
>          *   LICENSE-binary: The binary doesn’t contain the maven-wrapper
… therefore this mention can be removed

 Solved in PR #328.

>        *   LICENSE-binary: The binary release doesn’t contain any binary
files (no jars etc.) therefore I don’t think we need to technically list
anything (But I guess it’s more an issue that there is no jar in there … )
>        *   NOTICE-binary: Same year issue as with the Source NOTICE
> *   NOTICE-binary: As the binary distribution doesn’t seem to contain any
binary content, I can’t really verify this
>        *   README.md: Can’t verify as the binary distribution doesn’t work
>        *   RELEASE_NOTES.md: Same issues as in the source bundle

need to notice this issue when we upload to dist.apache.org.

Best,

Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东