Hi, all,

I saw this JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IOTDB-1818  had been
finished without any discussions. But I still have some questions about the
daily dependency update mechanism.

According to the introduction
https://docs.github.com/en/code-security/supply-chain-security/keeping-your-dependencies-updated-automatically/about-dependabot-version-updates,
 the update of any dependency happens when

1.     1. Security updates: The current version is vulnerable.

2.     2. Version updates: A new version has been released, no matter whether
it's vulnerable or not.

Which update strategy do we use now? From the day the issue closed to now I
have seen so many dependencies have been updated, which are not all security
issues. So I guess we use version updates strategy.

However, we can't trust any latest version of every dependency unless we have
proved that it's stable and safe. For example, if a dependency released a new
version 1.2.0, which has a former version 1.1.x, but 1.2.0 has broken the
backward compatibility, our build may be broken. We should know that the
semantic version is just an agreement, not a constriction. The bot can't
guarantee this mess will not happen. What was worse, if the new version has
some internal bugs, and the owner of the dependency can't give a fix release in
time, we should spend more works to fix the issues, or downgrade to a stable
one. It's not wise to use latest version in a production system always,
especially a database. I think stable is important than latest.

Can we leave the decision of when, why and whether to update the dependency to
our developers, not a bot? What do you think?

Thanks.

3.