Julian,
This needs a small refactoring, can you try to finish and benchmark it, try
to avoid casting and reflection as much you can. The test that is desirable
to see are:
-  misure in milliseconds the performance introducing calcite:
 1.  a query without calcite.
 2.  a query with your calcite support.
Before introducing dependencies in this project (that it's already fat - a
lot of code) we might want to see the impact to avoid
any evil premature optimization.
-  see if it breaks something, here Xian can help to identify problems.

The careful thing that I've experienced also with Cassandra, is that in
Java performance is not free like in native code..you have to work for it.
So even better test before introducing code. Do you agree?
Best Regards,
Giorgio