Hi folks,

Recently, I've been thinking about something that has been on my mind:
I believe TsFile has the potential to develop as an independent Apache
project (note, not a subproject like apache-iotdb-tsfile), just like
ORC, Parquet, and Arrow. How about incubating TsFile as an independent
Apache project?

The main reason I came up with this idea is because I realized that
TsFile is not just the data file format of IoTDB, but it can also be a
standard format in the IoT field. It provides excellent support for
time series data, offering various encoding and compression methods.
It can be easily self-parsed and its statistical information enables
fast data querying by big data software. I believe that every IoT
software could benefit directly by supporting TsFile as a storage
format.

On the other hand, I hope to leverage the power of the community to
drive the development of the TsFile file format. Just imagine, TsFile
could have its own independent ecosystem: parsing tools in various
languages, connectors to various big data software, and so on. By
separating TsFile from IoTDB, we have the opportunity to attract more
community contributors and introduce more ideas, thus refining the
functionality and performance of TsFile.

What do you think about this idea?

In addition, how can TsFile, as a part of the current IoTDB project,
become an independent Apache project? Should it go through the Apache
Foundation incubation process again, or can it directly become a
top-level project? It may be too early to ask this question now, but I
would also like to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Steve Su