Von: Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Datum: Donnerstag, 11. April 2024 um 10:36
An: dev@iotdb.apache.org <dev@iotdb.apache.org>
Betreff: Splitting up the repos
Hi all,

so now that the new repo is created
(https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/iotdb-extras.git, but please don’t push
anything there just yet), we would need to decide on which parts should be
moved there.

  *   “distribution”: Here I think we need to split the distribution. Keeping
the distributions containing only core in the main repo and adding a new
distribution module in the extras repo, that contains the downstream components.
  *   “example” (which I would propose to rename to examples as it contains
multiple)
  *   “iotdb-connector”

As it seems that in the integration-tests there are no tests testing the
connectors, I guess we can leave that as it is.

Now the problem is: There are multiple options to split up the repo and keeping
the entire history.

  1.  Split out one directory in a separate branch and then merge all branches
into an empty new one
  2.  Use the filter plugin to strip out all commits that match a regexp
  3.  Simply ignore the history, copy the files to the new repo and delete them
from the old.

3 is the simples, but the person doing the move will be marked as author. In
general this is not that problematic, as the integration modules and the
examples are usually not that complex, but I would understand, if people wanted
to keep the history.

Option 1 is probably the most work, but the most robust option, as with option
2, I had to give up when doing the PLC4X split as there were bugs and issues in
the tooling.

So, if nobody objects and we’ve decided on what should be moved, I personally
would opt for option 3.

Chris