Thanks for your reply. To clarify the situation at little. I was expecting to
run a query such as:

//element(*, axxia:resource)[jcr:contains(@jcr:data, 'classes')]

to only search the contents of a document. This does not currently return an
expected hit. Will resolving the issue JCR-415 refered to make such a search
possible?

Meanwhile I've realised that my idea of running query similar to:

//element(*, axxia:resource)[jcr:contains(., 'classes') and
jcr:contains(@axxia:subject, '-classes) and ... etc, all my properties I
want to exclude...]

doesn't work logically as won't return a hit if the word is in the document
text and a property. I guess my only option is to use a different node
structure with the content and properties seperated and run 2
queries rather than 1.

Cheers, Thomas