Julian Reschke wrote:
I just re-read JSR170, "Section 6.6.3.2 Type Constraint", and it doesn't mention a default constraint. On the other hand, I do agree that always having that constraint, and defaulting it to nt:base makes sense.

I agree the spec should clarify what node type is assumed when no type constraint is specified. I think we once had this in the spec but it seems it got lost during a re-write of the query section.

However, I really think the specs needs to state this. Should I open a ticket?

yes, either the maintenance release of jsr 170 or at least jsr 283 should mention what the behaviour is when there is no type constraint specified in an XPath statement.

regards
 marcel