hi julian

Julian Reschke wrote:

I'm currently looking at SessionInfo (in the SPI API) and SessionImpl.logout() (in jcr2spi).

It seems that the Session logout is handled entirely by the transient layer, and no SPI method is called to forward the information that the Session isn't used anymore. On the other hand, the SPI implementation may want to free resources related to the SessionInfo, right?

Am I missing something, or is this an oversight?

you don't miss anything, nor is it an oversight.
it's simply an open issue and there are many opinions, that
don't fit together.

- initially the requirement was, that there is no (and never)
  a 'session' hold on the server-side (server in the broader
  sense). in this situation, both login and logout
  didn't make any sense, since they insinuate, that there might
  be some session hold below the SPI boundary.
  this was the very initial state, where no 'login' was present.

- later on, some people claimed, that the 'SessionInfo' interface
  is lost in the SPI and that it should be define, how the
  SessionInfo is obtained.
  in this situation, we added the 'login' method (which is probably
  misnamed given the requirement). the current api reflects
  this state.

- after that the login method has been a questioned in the first
  jsr283 f2f and later on, since people thought, that 'login'
  implies a stateful implementation.

- and currently there a multiple requests for a 'logout' method,
  in order to be able to keep some sort of Session identification
  on the 'server'.

so... :)) since marcel and myself were busy with all kind of
issues (mainly due to the id, that isn't an id any more),
we didn't feel like fighting with opposed requirements
and postponed the discussion (and a careful evaluation of all
the pros and contras).

kind regards
angela